- The machine is as capable machining partial fan tracks, as maybe required at overhaul, as it is at machining full fan tracks more typical at engine production. There is also the facility to custom cut profile diameter to match the fan set.
- The integrated vacuum extraction system removes dust directly from the cutting tip, leaving the working environment free of any contamination, meaning that the cutting operation can be conducted in the engine build area.
- The boring machine is transportable through the factory, once folded away into its compact position on the wheeled base.
- All interlocked guarding is integrated within the trolley, and once the machine is located, is quickly and easily positioned.
- Loading of the machine onto the engine is effortless, the pneumatic manipulator is balanced to give the boring bar an almost weightless feel. This of course, also ensures there are minimal external forces on the LP shaft or through the fan case during machining.
Torus' A521 Fan Track Boring Machine features a CNC control of the cutting path negating the need for expensive fixed profile templates prone to inaccuracy and wear. Additionally, profiles can be easily edited from fan track profile CAD files giving unprecedented flexibility, dramatically reducing lead time and costs for new profile variants.
The integrated measurement system is utilised for pre-machining inspection, optimizing the cutting sequence to give ultimate machining efficiency, of course, the same system is also used for final inspection, producing a measurement report tailored to the end user’s requirement to include, full profile scanning, gauge point measurement and full radial scanning. The reports can be networked for full traceability.